Monday, December 29, 2008

Project MBA - GMATerr......

This blog will focus on the GMAT experience. GMAT score = 740. I consider it a good score but not outstanding. So I am not sure how much my experience will help others. but here it is anyway....

I used several resources: The official guide, Manhattan GMAT, Kaplan800, Princeton and GMATprep. Without doubt, spend the due diligence in studying the Official guide. Make sure to not only answer their prep questions but also to read the answer explanation. In addition, I found the Manhattan GMAT series to be very helpful. I found several tricks there to solve problems more quickly. You are the best judge of how much preparation you need. In my case, I had already studied previously for the GRE. So I was used to the concept of rapid fire CAD based exams.

During the week before my GMAT, I practiced the Kaplan800 and the GMATprep computer based exams. The GMATprep is the official practice exam CD from GMAC. My Kaplan800 scores were in the 750-760 range and my GMATprep scores were in the 760-780 range. So obviously, I did not fare well to my expectations on the D-day. I think I was a bit nervous during the initial half-hour simply because I had high expectations for myself. Perhaps that is why I ended up with 740.

Most Adcoms say that GMAT does not make or break the case, which I think (and would like to believe) is true. Also, as a friend once said, a 740 score will help keep the focus off of the academic credentials (like a check in the box). So, I can focus on the rest of the application (extracurricular, goals, essays, recommendations).

No comments:

Post a Comment